Agricultural-Worker Population Estimates—2016 Update
Additional information about population estimates for agricultural worker grants is available at the webpage for Agricultural-Worker Grants.
LSC has adopted final population estimates for the future distribution of Basic Field—Agricultural Worker Grants (formerly Migrant Grants). LSC will phase in application of the new estimates over two years, with one-half of the transition to be applied in 2017 and the full changes to be applied in 2018. These final estimates are the product of a two-year process involving LSC, the United States Department of Labor, and extensive input from LSC grantees and NLADA in response to three published notices for comment.
August 2016—Final Estimates Adopted by LSC for 2017–2018 Implementation
- Final Notice—Adoption of Estimates of Agricultural Workers (August 8, 2016)
July 2016–Final Revised Estimates for Consideration by the LSC Board
- 2016 Ag Worker Data Final Order–LSC Board DRAFT–July-14-2016
April 2016 Notice—Revisions to the Michigan Estimate
LSC published in the April 4, 2016 Federal Register a notice for comment on alternative estimates of the LSC-eligible agricultural worker population in Michigan. Those estimates, which appear below, were submitted by the Michigan Advocacy Program in the comments to the February 2016 notice.
- Federal Register | Agricultural Worker Population Estimates for Basic Field-Migrant Grants
February 2016 Notice—Revised Estimates
LSC published materials for comment in the February 5, 2016 Federal Register. Comments were due March 21, 2016. The materials and comments appear below. Please direct any questions to Mark Freedman, Senior Associate General Counsel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Federal Register Notice: Request for Comments—Agricultural Worker Population Data for Basic Field–Migrant Grants
- Appendix A: Estimate of the Population of Agricultural Workers Eligible for LSC-Funded Services Pursuant to 45 C.F.R. § 1626.4—Anti-Abuse Laws
- Tables I–VII (Excel Document)
- Table I—Updated Estimates of the Size and Geographic Distribution of The LSC-Eligible Agricultural Worker Population and the Sources and Calculations Used to Develop Those Estimates.
- Table II—National and State Estimates of the LSC-Eligible Agricultural Worker Population—Summary Table.
- Table III—Percentages of Agricultural Workers by National Agricultural Worker Survey (NAWS) Region and State Who Are Authorized and in Poverty.
- Table IV—Average Numbers of Dependents per Farmworker by National Agricultural Worker Survey (NAWS) Region and State.
- Table V—Number and Percentage of LSC-Eligible Agricultural Workers in Each State Who Are Crop, Livestock, and Forestry Workers.
- Table VI—Number of Unauthorized and Below-Poverty Farmworkers Eligible for LSC-Funded Services Pursuant to Anti-Abuse Provisions of 45 CFR § 1626.4(3).
- Table VII—LSC-Eligible Agricultural Worker Population by State: Comparison of Current Population Estimates and Updated January 2016 Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (ETA) Estimates.
On February 3, 2015, LSC posted in the Federal Register a request for comments regarding updating the Basic Field—Migrant grants based on new data from the Department of Labor regarding agricultural workers and their dependents. Written comments were due by April 20, 2015. On July 27, 2015, LSC posted in the Federal Register a statement that it will make public additional information underlying the new data, contract with the Department of Labor for assistance addressing issues raised in the comments, consider development of revised data, and seek public comment on any revised data and a revised implementation plan. Implementation would begin January 2017
- Federal Register Notice Seeking Public Comment (written comments due by April 20, 2015)
- Federal Register Notice of Extension of Comment Period to April 20, 2015 (March 19, 2015)
- Federal Register Notice Regarding Further Actions in 2016 (July 27, 2015)
- LSC Memorandum to the Operations and Regulations Committee (January 21, 2015)
- LSC Management Report on Agricultural Worker Population Estimate Update (updated January 30, 2015)
- LSC Management Report Appendices (updated January 30, 2015)
- LSC Management Report with Appendices as a single document (updated January 30, 2015)
- Public Comments on February 2015 Agricultural Worker Population Estimate Update
- Comments of Marciel Buelna (March 17, 2015)
- Comments of Anonymous (March 19, 2015)
- Comments of Legal Action of Wisconsin (April 16, 2015)
- Comments of the American Bar Association (April 16, 2015)
- Comments of the National Legal Aid and Defender Association, Farmworker Section, Agricultural Worker Project Group (April 20, 2015)
- Comments of the National Legal Aid and Defender Association (April 20, 2015)
- Comments of Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (April 20, 2015)
- Comments of Iowa Legal Aid (April 20, 2015)
- Comments of Florida Legal Services (April 20, 2015)
- Comments of Michigan Advocacy Program (April 20, 2015)
- Comments of Georgia Legal Services (April 20, 2015)