Memphis Area Legal Services seeks Deputy Director
Memphis Area Legal Services (MALS) is the primary provider of civil legal representation for low-income individuals and families in Fayette, Lauderdale, Shelby, and Tipton counties in Tennessee who are facing critical, sometimes life-threatening situations. Legal assistance is provided through advice and counsel, representation in court and administrative proceedings, and community education and outreach to vulnerable residents. Since 1970, MALS has grown to become a multi-faceted community law firm guided by values and principles that embody its commitment to equal access to justice for all.
Memphis Area Legal Services, Inc. is seeking a Deputy Director who will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the client services at Memphis Area Legal Services, Inc. Administrative responsibilities include the implementation of strategic planning efforts and grant objectives, investigating and resolving client complaints and grievances, program development, program implementation contract compliance, and program evaluation.
MALS has an annual budget of approximately $4M million with funding from the Legal Services Corporation, as well as various federal, state, and local sources of grant funding and private donations.
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Assume the responsibilities of Executive Director and assume the position of Acting Executive Director, when requested by the Executive Director or by MALS Board of Directors.
Compliance and External Administration
• In conjunction with executive director engage in oversight of compliance issues related to major Federal and State funding sources such as Legal Services Corporation (LSC) and IOLTA, and the LSC compliance portion of the annual audit.
• Oversee updating of MALS Administrative Manual, policies, protocols, and procedures.
• Serve as advisor to the Executive Director regarding administrative matters.
• Coordinate implementation of strategic plan.
• Promote and implement firmwide policies, protocols, and procedures.
• Attend MALS Board meetings and provide reports and recommendations as needed; be available to participate in meetings of committees and subcommittees of the Board.
• Assist the Executive Director in cultivating funding sources.
• Represent MALS at local, state and national level meetings in coordination with or in lieu of the Executive Director.
Internal (Staff) Administration
• Ensure proper communication of management decisions to all staff.
• Plan and facilitate management staff meetings, as needed.
• Oversee evaluation of firm programming and office functions in conjunction with Executive Director.
• In conjunction with the Executive Director, review staff evaluations and file reviews, and provide reports and recommendations. Investigate and resolve client complaints and grievances. Facilitate a close working relationship among the 2 offices, through quarterly visits.
• Coordinate with the Executive Director and Managing Attorneys on annual training plans and staff training conferences.
• Assist the Executive Director in public relations activities as needed.
• Participate in All Staff meetings, Directors meetings and managing attorneys' meetings as requested.
• Participate on internal committees, work groups, and other efforts to promote and improve MALS operations.
• Establish and maintain professional working relationships with office staff.
• Comply with program policies and regulations of the Legal Services Corporation and other funders.
• Comply with relevant portions of the Legal Services Corporation’s Performance Criteria and with the American Bar Association’s Standards for the Provision of Civil Legal Aid.
• Juris Doctor (JD)
• Admitted to practice law in Tennessee, eligible for admission through reciprocity, or willing to take first available Tennessee bar examination.
• Minimum 7 years practice of law.
• Minimum 7 years of experience in policy administration or management of an
office, firm, company, or non-profit organization.
• Experience with grant compliance
• Intermediate to expert skills in Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Superior oral and written communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
• Meticulous attention to detail accuracy.
• Ability to multi-task and shift priorities.
• Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary DOE with excellent benefits, including 401(K).
Please send a letter of interest and resume to HR@malsi.org.
MALS is an E.O.E.