Temporary Fiscal Compliance Analyst
Position: Temporary Fiscal Compliance Analyst
Posting Number: # 1303
Date Posted: May 8, 2015
Location: Office of Compliance & Enforcement, Legal Services Corporation | 3333 K Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20007-3552
Employment Status: Temporary
Background Check Required
Overview: Established by Congress in 1974, the Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is the country’s single largest funder of civil legal aid for low-income Americans. LSC currently funds 134 independent, nonprofit legal aid organizations with over 800 offices throughout the nation. LSC’s mission is to promote equal access to justice and provide grants for high quality civil legal assistance.
A Temporary Fiscal Compliance Analyst works in the Office of Compliance & Enforcement (OCE) serving as team members on various types of investigations and reviews, including fiscal and internal controls, depending on project and staffing needs. Typical engagements include one day of preparation, five days onsite, and two days to prepare a written report.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in onsite compliance and technical assistance reviews to ensure LSC grantee compliance with the LSC Act, laws and regulations, appropriations riders, special grant terms, the Accounting Guide for LSC Recipients and OMB Circulars. Grantee program reviews and assessments seek to improve efficiency and effectiveness of LSC grantee operations, and to flag and address, as appropriate, practices that suggest possible fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement of LSC funds.
- Identifies significant findings, makes authoritative recommendations and resolves a wide range of fiscal oversight issues; devises techniques to analyze and evaluate evidence and results; and develops analytical opinions, findings, and recommendations.
- Provides technical guidance to LSC grantees on program fiscal matters and internal controls and promotes fiscal management best practices.
- Participates in on-site capability assessment reviews.
- Cultivates and maintains productive working relationships with all levels of LSC and program staff while conducting program reviews.
- Assesses and evaluates program accounting policies and procedures, fiscal policies, and employee handbooks and accounting guides for adequacy.
- Prepares preliminary findings and, at the direction of the team leader, delivers to program staff while on-site or by telephone during exit conference.
- Prepares written reports and related correspondence to memorialize findings of reviews and assessments.
- Participates in on-site investigations of complaints and inquiries received from the public, LSC’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) and other sources regarding recipients of LSC funding.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the laws and regulations relating to LSC specifically, and on nonprofit corporations, generally.
Able to conduct solid analysis and make well-informed, objective, and evidence-based decisions; excellent written communication skills with demonstrated ability to produce professional, well-written work product that requires minimal editing; excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to effectively reach different audiences and manage conflicts; unimpeachable integrity and adherence to the highest standards of ethics; high degree of flexibility, capacity for self-management, and attention to detail; understanding of and commitment to organizational mission and goals; thoughtful and thorough problem solver; strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities; self-motivated with ability to influence, motivate, challenge, and inspire confidence among others; unimpeachable integrity and personal ethics
A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field, and at least eight (8) years of progressive fiscal experience. A graduate degree or a relevant certification (e.g., MBA, CPA, CISA, CIA, or CMA) is preferred.
Experience reviewing and analyzing audited financial statements and auditor’s reports, and reviewing and evaluating accounting policies and procedures and internal controls. Strong working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and of the principles, practices, and concepts involved with planning, conducting, and reporting on fiscal reviews and assessments. Experience applying GAAP with a major CPA firm is preferred. Working knowledge of GAAP for not-for-profits entities is preferred.
Capacity to interpret and understand regulations, including the LSC Act, that impact the fiscal responsibilities of an LSC grantee, and the ability to articulate and share with grantees the changes in practice necessary to comply with regulations. Knowledge of federal policies and practices governing expenditures and the disposition of property and fund balances.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Position will be compensated at a daily rate of $500.00. Temporary part- time employees are not eligible for benefits.
Submit a résumé, cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this position. Please also include where you saw the position announcement.
Legal Services Corporation
Office of Human Resources
3333 K Street, NW, 3rd Floor
Washington, DC 20007-3552
Note: Electronic applications are preferred. If applying by email, please include the job title in the subject line. If reasonable accommodation in the application process is required, please notify OHR at 202-295-1571.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the posting will remain open until filled.
LSC embraces diversity as a core value. We recognize that our success as a corporation depends upon creating and maintaining a diverse team of talented professionals, and we are committed to a workplace that reflects and supports diverse individual backgrounds and perspectives. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, disability and status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or regulation. We strive to have a workplace that is comfortable and welcoming for everyone.
LSC is an equal opportunity employer.