Legal Secretary – Community Lawyering Center
DESCRIPTION: Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas (LANWT) is a nonprofit law firm that provides free civil legal aid to the low-income communities of North and West Texas. LANWT is seeking a professional, experienced, articulate, and intelligent Legal Secretary with excellent communication, interpersonal skills for all front office desk duties, litigation support for attorneys, administrative support for its legal staff, and supervision of support staff volunteers at the UNT Dallas College of Law (UNTD COL) Community Lawyering Centers (CLC). The CLC are centers located in the Dallas community that provide legal assistance to qualifying low-income people through a collaboration between LANWT and UNTD COL. Civil legal assistance is provided by the LANWT attorneys, supervised student attorneys practicing under temporary trial cards, and supervised volunteer support staff.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Supervising Attorney.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma, GED or equivalent with at least 2+ years of relevant experience as a legal assistant or legal secretary.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree or Certification in relevant field.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Must type minimum of 50 wpm. Excellent computer skills with use of MS Word preferred. Demanding position requiring strong interpersonal skills, heavy public contact with persons from diverse backgrounds and a desire to assist low-income persons. Must be prompt, organized, and self-motivated. Must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Proficient bilingual skills (English-Spanish) is preferred. Prior law office experience is helpful. Excellent attendance record. Ability to work a flexible work schedule that includes evenings and Saturdays.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The legal secretary will be responsible for supporting the supervising attorney, staff attorneys and student attorneys, by performing general legal secretarial duties.
1. Assist with office intake procedures, including prescreening and maintaining “call back” lists.
2. Screen calls for financial eligibility and legal problem, including distinguishing emergency matters from non-emergency matters
3. Efficiently and courteously refer calls to proper staff members and provide information on
community resources and other direct service providers.
4. Greet visitors, determine their needs, and direct them to appropriate offices or personnel.
5. Provide full range of detailed information related to legal services provided by all LANWT offices in an efficient, detailed, and courteous manner.
6. Maintain a phone log, visitor log, and intake schedule as required.
7. General secretarial support, especially preparing legal documents and correspondence through typing and transcribing. Accurate proofreading of correspondence, pleadings, and reports in draft and final form.
8. Filing, copying, mail distribution, answering telephone, maintaining legal files and client records, including tickler, calendaring and time-keeping system.
9. File legal papers/pleadings at the Courthouse or through e-filing, including setting hearing dates, and interacting with court personnel, opposing parties and clients.
10. Monitoring and accurately maintaining case status through internal case management system.
11. Prepare reports and administrative documents.
12. Assist with community education events.
13. Other duties which may from time-to-time be assigned by the supervising attorneys, staff attorneys, Director of Litigation, Deputy Director and/or the Chief Executive Officer.
1. Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality and professionalism regarding client matters.
2. Adhere to program policies and procedures, including internal policies, as may be established.
3. Maintain professionalism toward clients, visitors and other employees.
SALARY: Current entry-level salary is $29,800 per year. The salary for the successful applicant may be significantly higher, based on applicant’s years of experience.
BENEFITS: Excellent benefits package that includes paid vacation and holidays; a retirement plan; health, dental, and life insurance.
All interested applicants should apply on our Careers page:
For internal applicants, please use this Intranet link:
For external applicants (outside of Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas), please use this Internet link:
http://www.lanwt.org (click on “Careers” tab)
Please submit a cover letter expressing interest, a resume, and three professional references during the application process.
LEGAL AID OF NORTHWEST TEXAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY